Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Elder Cultural Competency Training
ElderSource Institute created the LGBT Elder Cultural Competency Training Program to fill an educational gap for professionals who work with older adults and help them to better understand key concepts, vocabulary, and the many barriers faced by older adults in the LGBT community.
As any other older adult, LGBT seniors face the typical challenges of aging. However, because of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity they are at a higher risk for abuse, isolation, discrimination and exploitation. Therefore, LGBT seniors are five times less likely to access services than non-LGBT seniors, depriving them of the support that they need.
By bringing this training to the employees in your organization, you will be giving participants the tools they need to confidently and comfortably work with and care for LGBT seniors. In turn, this ensures that LGBT elders are treated with respect and dignity, allowing them to be true to themselves. This program will improve the quality of services delivered to LGBT seniors, thereby improving their quality of life.
ElderSource Institute’s LGBT Elder Cultural Competency Training is supported by a grant from the LGBT Community Fund at The Community Foundation of Northeast Florida. This allows ElderSource Institute to offer this training at no cost to your company.
“When I call for services, I want to be connected with someone who is comfortable with my being gay.”
Become a provider who is sensitive to the needs of LGBT seniors, by giving them the confidence and support they need to access the services available to them. This training is currently being offered to organizations to train staff/employees. Training for individuals will be available soon!
LGBT Elder Cultural Competency Program Content:
- Designed to be a 90 minute interactive program
- Information about the challenges that LGBT seniors face
- Comprehensive discussion and definition of sexual orientation and gender identity
- LGBT affirming language
- A documentary movie clip of “GenSilent,” a real-life look into the lives of LGBT seniors
- Dynamic discussion modules and small group activities on how to address and care for LGBT seniors
- PhotoVoice – a series of photos taken by LGBT elders depicting the challenges they have faced in their lifetimes
LGBT Elder Cultural Competency Learning Outcomes:
- Increased understanding of diversity among seniors, their families and caregivers
- Better understanding of the concepts of sexual orientation and gender identity
- Increased awareness of environments that are characterized by inclusion, respect, and dignity
- Tools for learning inclusive communication skills with LGBT seniors, their families, and caregivers
- Lessons on how to use affirmative language for appropriate interaction with the LGBT community
- Action plans to care for LGBT seniors
For this training, the following disciplines will receive 1.5 CEU’s:
Registered Nurses, Clinical Social Workers, Psychologists, Respiratory Therapists, Licensed Nurses, Nursing Home Administrators, Occupational Therapists., Marriage and Family Therepists, Mental Health Counselors, and Dieticians and Nutritionists.
Cost of CEU’s: $20.00 per person
ElderSource Institute will be offering free LGBT Elder Cultural Competency Trainings at ElderSource throughout 2017. These trainings are free and open to the public. The next community training will be Wednesday May 17, 2017 12:00-1:00 pm. Register Here!