Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Elder
Cultural Competency Training
Online trainings are not “scheduled” and can be accessed and completed on your own time
“When I call for services, I want to be connected with someone who is comfortable with my being gay.”
As any other older adult, LGBT seniors face the typical challenges of aging. However, because of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity they are at a higher risk for abuse, isolation, discrimination and exploitation. Therefore, LGBT seniors are five times less likely to access services than non-LGBT seniors, depriving them of the support that they need.
This 1.5 hour informative training is offered online and designed to fill an educational gap for professionals who work with older adults; helping them to better understand key concepts, vocabulary, and the many barriers faced by older adults in the LGBT community. Participants will gain the tools they need to confidently and comfortably work with and care for LGBT seniors. This program will improve the quality of services delivered to LGBT seniors, thereby improving their quality of life.
You can also purchase this training package to use as part of on-boarding, staff/volunteer training or as a revenue generating program.
Learning Outcomes Include:
- Increased understanding of diversity among seniors, their families and caregivers
- Better understanding of the concepts of sexual orientation and gender identity
- Increased awareness of environments that are characterized by inclusion, respect, and dignity
- Tools for learning inclusive communication skills with LGBT seniors, their families, and caregivers
- Lessons on how to use affirmative language for appropriate interaction with the LGBT community
- Action plans to care for LGBT seniors
In the state of Florida, the following disciplines can receive 1.5 FREE CEUs:
Registered Nurses, Clinical Social Workers, Psychologists, Respiratory Therapists, Licensed Nurses, Nursing Home Administrators, Occupational Therapists, Marriage and Family Therapists, Mental Health Counselors, and Dietitians and Nutritionists.
The LGBT Elder Cultural Competency Training is supported by the LGBT Community Fund at The Community Foundation of Northeast Florida.